Hello you lot! Today I'm turning 21 years old! It's a special year because in the next few months, I will start my last year of University and graduate, but also move to London (which is a dream I've been carrying with me for many many years). I wanted to write a post today about 21 things I learned before turning 21. And to accompany this post... photos of the gorgeous bouquet I received for the occasion. My parents ordered flowers from my favourite florist, Bell Jar Botanicals, and it was everything I could have asked for, I'm so happy! So here we go...
1. Finishing a good book is one of the most satisfying feelings. On that note, you should watch the video I filmed with Martine about the most memorable books in our lives.
2. Friendship is a two-way street.
3. If you don't like going out, it's perfectly okay. Each to their own!
4. It's great to consume content, but you should also create (an advice my dad has been telling me for years).
5. When you have to eat by yourself, cook something instead of eating frozen meals or ordering food.
6. Save money for your big projects.
7. Don't compare your path to others'. Everyone will accomplish different things at varying paces.
8. Reading makes you better at writing, it makes you learn things, and it's the perfect way to escape and dream.
9. Make sure you feel comfortable in your clothes. There is nothing worse than wanting to change when you're not at home because you've made a bad decision in the morning.
10. Walk! It makes you feel good. Don't hesitate to exit the metro a few stations before to get a walk in on your way to work.
11. Drink lots of water. If you don't, you know you'll have a headache at the end of the day...
12. Switching for a paper agenda to an online calendar was the best decision you've ever made.
13. Everything happens for a reason (I'm still trying to convince myself that this one is real but my mom insisted I put it in my blog post haha).
14. Traveling on your own might be scary at first, but it's totally worth it.
15. Meeting like-minded people online and forming IRL friendships after is the best thing!
16. Inspiration is everywhere. Literally everywhere: at the café on the street corner, in the flower bouquet you've just received, in the documentaries you watch...
17. Use your commute time to listen to podcasts, it's such a good use of your time and the perfect example of multitasking.
18. Not all chores are boring. Laundry is actually fun with music or a podcast (again) in the background.
19. Send thoughtful messages to your friends when they least expect it (or even just say hi), it will make their day
20. When you're stressed, there's nothing like a bubble bath to make you feel better.
21. Don't rely on your parents to find work for you or to help you make professional connections. You can do it on your own, and it's much more impressive that way.
And if you want more advice, I suggest you listen to the 'Grazia Life Advice' podcast.
What's the best piece of advice you've ever received?